All products are sold in bulk by the yard and half yard.
To find out how to purchase our products please visit the “Buy our product” page!
To find out how much product you need please use the handy-dandy formula at the bottom of this page!
Kern offers ten varieties of mulch.
OGB (Organic Grower’s Blend)
- This soil-less mix is made of 2/3 manure + 1/3 compost
- Great for organically adding a boost of fertilizer and nutrients to soil
- Used for vegetable growth, organic gardens, and perennial gardening
- It’s the secret sauce for any vegetable garden
RGB (Raised Garden Blend)
- The RGB is a four way blend of screened soil + compost + all natural manure + pine fines
- This light soil mix is for all raised gardens or in-ground planting
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OGB AND RGB?
- The RGB has soil and is planting ready. The OGB has no soil and is not planting ready
- The OGB needs to be mixed with a soil medium such as topsoil, potting soil, peat moss, or pine fines
- This screened soil has been blended with compost
- Great for any grass seeding, sodding, or grading project
- Composted and screened
- Anti biotic and hormone free
- Great all natural fertilizer
- Improves soil structure and drainage
- Increases nutrient content
Rock (No boulders, flagstones, blocks, or patio pavers)
Pre Bagged Product
All pre-bagged Soil Essentials are Minnesota grown, horticultural grade, and all natural.
- Composted Manure (antibiotic and hormone free)
- Premium Compost (certified organic)
- Planting Mix (topsoil base blended with compost and poultry manure. For in ground use)
- Potting Soil (peat moss base blended with perlite, compost, and poultry manure. For pots and containers)
- Pine Bark Fines (1.5 cubic yard)
- Pine Bark (1.5 cubic yard)
JRK Grass Seed
Kern offers perennial grass seed in convenient 3 lbs. and 5 lbs. bags and by the pound. Our blends include:
- Sunny Mix (full sun to part sun)
- Shady Mix (full shade to part shade)
- Low Grow/No Mow Mix
Landscape Improvement Products
- Black Jack Edging (20 foot strip + four stake/connector kit)
- Paver Edging (7.7 ft)
- Landscape Weed Control Fabric (four sizes: 3 x 50, 3 x 100, 4 x 100, 6 x 100)
Yard Waste Disposal (Minimum $20 Dumping Fee)
- Loose leaves, lawn clippings, and garden waste
- Brush & Branches
- Sod & Soil (must be free of concrete, trash, large quantities of rock, building material)
FORMULA : How much product do you need?
Calculate your square footage of area (SQ. FT. = length in feet x width in feet)
If you have more than one area just add up the total square footage.
Decide depth of product.
- Mulch (2″-3″)
- Soil and Soil Amendments (site and job specific)
- Rock (Patio 3″-6″/Driveway 6″-12″)
Divide SQ Footage by appropriate depth.
- 1″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 325 = Cubic Yards
- 2″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 162 = Cubic Yards
- 3″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 108 = Cubic Yards
- 4″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 81 = Cubic Yards
- 5″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 65 = Cubic Yards
- 6″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 54 = Cubic Yards
- 8″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷40 = Cubic Yards
- 12″ Depth: SQ Footage ÷ 27 = Cubic Yards
Hate doing math? Please call (651) 646-1553 for assistance!